This time of year, chances are you plan to spend your evenings snuggled up under a pile of blankets in search of your next binge watch — but don’t let the cold keep you inside. Downtown Statesboro still comes alive in the chilly air, serving sumptuous flavors, bursting with rocking tunes and hosting heartwarming gatherings. A night on the town with your special someone might be just the thing to thaw your heart and cure those wintertime blues.
• Indulge in lighter fare at Vino 1910: There’s no better place to shelter from the cold than barside, underneath the glow of Vino’s sparkling chandeliers. The wine bar’s quaint intimacy and friendly atmosphere contrast its upscale decor and drink selection, making it a perfect complement to both casual and elegant date nights.
Serving fine wines from all over the world, craft beers, cocktails, seasonal specialties and even a few alcohol-free wines, everyone can find a drink worth cozying up to. If you’re feeling snacky, the friendly faces behind the bar are more than happy to share the charcuterie lineup, which changes seasonally. Their artful boards are carefully curated to pair perfectly with a wide selection of bubbles for a pleasing palate. Grab your honey, pull up a chair, strike up a conversation and melt your winter worries away at Vino.
• Treat yourself at Bull & Barrel: Everyone knows one of the best things about cold weather is the warm, delectable comfort meals that come with it. Take a break from firing up your own stove or oven and let the culinary experts behind Bull & Barrel Steakhouse pique your interest with their seasonal menu. Their hand-cut steaks are the talk of the town and easily some of the best in the Boro — though some may argue the state. With cuts like smoked prime rib, Cajun ribeye and their crowned filet, they’ve perfected the art of fine dining.
• Learn a new skill at Firearms Date Night: Statesboro has a few alternative outings you and your loved one won’t find anywhere else. For some friendly competition, Georgia Southern’s Shooting Sports Education Center hosts monthly Firearms Date Nights, open to the public. See how your aim stacks up against your partner. While the ins and outs of firearm handling may not sound romantic, it’s proven that learning new things as a couple can strengthen your bond; plus, you may just make a new hobby out of it. The workshop covers everything from safety to shooting stance to fixing malfunctions. It’s geared toward beginners, but anyone can attend to deepen their knowledge or enjoy some time on the range.
• Make memories at Southern Pottery: For the creatives at heart, you’d probably prefer to wield a paintbrush than a firearm, so grab a handmade piece, fill a palette with your go-to colors and unleash your inner artist at Southern Pottery. Create your own masterpieces, or make something for each other and trade once they’re fired and glazed. With options including canvases, pottery, clay building, wood crafts and glass fusing, all mediums are fair game. If you’re looking for something more interactive, keep an eye on their event calendar for outings like paint parties that are open to the public.
• Honky Tonk at the Averitt Center for the Arts: Country music-loving couples won’t want to miss a chance to hear this soulful tribute to legend Patsy Cline. The show, “Always…Patsy Cline,” takes place Feb. 16–18 at the Averitt Center for the Arts, featuring 27 of her unforgettable classics. Make an evening out of it and walk over to Tandoor & Tap just across the street before the show (or after on Sunday) for a family-style selection of authentic Indian cuisine.
Beyond Patsy Cline, the arts center hosts an abundance of events every month, so keep your date night options open. Try your hand at clay making or pottery spinning during February and March, and watch their performance schedule for more shows.
• Let loose with live music around town: Blind Willie started a legacy with “Statesboro Blues,” and it lives on in bars and restaurants all over town. Our love and appreciation of music is deep-rooted here in the Boro. Locals will know there’s no better way to make lasting memories with your favorite person than on the dance floor at a local hangout spot, jamming to live tunes.
Whether you’re a daring duo, a creative couple or simply foodie fans, there’s something for every perfect pair in Statesboro. Warming your heart is often the best way to forget about the cold, so hit the town, rekindle your romance and make memories in Statesboro.