The Statesboro Main Street Farmers Market has been a community hub for over a decade. Since its inception, it has engaged people of all ages and backgrounds while instilling pride in shopping local. The Saturday market re-opened on June 19 this year to excited vendors and an eager crowd! Wondering why you should visit the market this weekend? Keep reading and I’ll give you six wonderful reasons why!
1. Enjoy the outdoors with family and friends. Shop to live music and summer breezes as you stroll past colorful artisan booths and tables piled high with produce. You will undoubtedly see familiar faces so it’s the perfect time to slow down and connect with others in person.
2. Try something new. Every week the produce will vary in taste and often in texture. You will find unique items like colorful carrots and squash that you won’t see in grocery stores and tasty jams and jellies that can be sampled right on the spot. You are sure to find something new every visit.
3. Know where your food comes from. Meeting and talking to farmers and food artisans is a great way to learn more about how and where food is produced. They are passionate about what they do and love to give tips on food storage and recommend flavorful recipes.
4. Taste the difference for yourself. Produce shipped from distant states and countries travel an average of seven to 14 days before finally landing in the produce section at the grocery store. Fruits and vegetables produced locally are usually sold within 24 hours of being harvested ensuring you are buying food that tastes better and is at the height of ripeness.
5. Support your local economy. By supporting local food producers, you directly contribute to helping your friends and neighbors. Most of the money you spend at the market stays right here in our community, recirculating to keep the local economy strong.
6. For pet’s sake! Shopping at the market means your four-legged family members don’t have to stay home. You can even buy them treats from a variety of vendors. Leashes or strollers are required but the Downtown Dog Park is only a couple of blocks away.
Shopping doesn’t have to be a chore — head downtown on Saturday for friendly faces and the freshest food around. Meet a friend or bring the kids and make a morning of it… See you at the market!
The Saturday markets are from 9 a.m. -12:30 p.m. in the Synovus parking lot across from the Bulloch County Courthouse. Call the Visit Statesboro office for more information at 912-259-9555.